Will butchery be reworked in MO2?

Thread starter #1

Luminia

Trial Member
Hey everyone, since i dont follow the MO2 discussion regulary I would like to ask if anybody knows if SV will change butchery in MO2.

Speznat

i hope they will rework the fucked up system we had for 8 years now.

they must change the whole butchery stuff that it makes more sense. the alst butchery change was a good step in the right direction now everyone can butcher better. but the old shit we had like 8 years is worst gameplay design choice ive ever seen it changed the whole meaning and motivation of going out and do stuff.

imo the biggest issues with butchery were:

1. Less time spent in mob spawns. You get to a spawn, fill your bags in 5 minutes and head back to town. This is boring and doesnt promote conflict, theres now less chance you will cross paths with another player.

2. No value in looting carcass = no pvp hotspots. A full stack of most carcass yields very little material, so most of the time its not worth to pickup, so again theres no incentive to try to gank ppl farming.

Of course most ppl running now on MO1 with full ogh and 110 pots gonna laugh and say nobody will pvp for razorback carcass, but on MO release ppl did fight over wisents and its gonna be important for the early game of MO2.

To fix this you could decrease the carcass dropped by mobs but at the same time buff the yield so ppl can spend more time in farming spots if they want to risk more to farm more and carcass has more value making these spots early game pvp hotspots.

Assuming MO2 has a healthy pop, it doesnt really matter if your selling your carcass to a butcher or vendoring the raw mats

I hope they rework it because in its current state its pretty trash

Last edited:

Speznat

imo the biggest issues with butchery were:

1. Less time spent in mob spawns. You get to a spawn, fill your bags in 5 minutes and head back to town. This is boring and doesnt promote conflict, theres now less chance you will cross paths with another player.

2. No value in looting carcass = no pvp hotspots. A full stack of most carcass yields very little material, so most of the time its not worth to pickup, so again theres no incentive to try to gank ppl farming.

Of course most ppl running now on MO1 with full ogh and 110 pots gonna laugh and say nobody will pvp for razorback carcass, but on MO release ppl did fight over wisents and its gonna be important for the early game of MO2.

To fix this you could decrease the carcass dropped by mobs but at the same time buff the yield so ppl can spend more time in farming spots if they want to risk more to farm more and carcass has more value making these spots early game pvp hotspots.

Assuming MO2 has a healthy pop, it doesnt really matter if your selling your carcass to a butcher or vendoring the raw mats

I hope they rework it because in its current state its pretty trash
some even better suggesting is just normal 100% yield butchering in the field. like a real hunter would also do. if they dont want to carry the shit if the animal with them all the time. just the good parts.

The old system where you got the materials was better in my opinion, stay in the field longer is always a good thing and newbies aren't shit out of luck when it comes to making basic money. Perhaps large rare creatures will need to be butchered and require (secondary) lores, like spider queen and those cosmoid scale fellas.

Speznat

The old system where you got the materials was better in my opinion, stay in the field longer is always a good thing and newbies aren't shit out of luck when it comes to making basic money. Perhaps large rare creatures will need to be butchered and require (secondary) lores, like spider queen and those cosmoid scale fellas.
i agree, it was best. the whole butchery overcomplicated things. maybe butchery could be still in but that anyone can field butcher to110% and get 100% of materials. and that more creatures out in the wild that farming with friends makes more sense.

now noboy going wisent farming with friend or springbok farming becasue there are not enough for 2 people on an spawn thats also a problem.

i agree, it was best. the whole butchery overcomplicated things. maybe butchery could be still in but that anyone can field butcher to110% and get 100% of materials. and that more creatures out in the wild that farming with friends makes more sense.

now noboy going wisent farming with friend or springbok farming becasue there are not enough for 2 people on an spawn thats also a problem.
The reason you don't go farming with friends isn't the limited amount of creatures. It's the time it takes to kill them. They just stay there and wait till they die. You can slaughter 20 razorback in 5 Minutes. They don't give a real fight.

Perhaps even give 125% if butchered, but have the skill for butchering required (primary).

Hey everyone, since i dont follow the MO2 discussion regulary I would like to ask if anybody knows if SV will change butchery in MO2.
This is just a wild guess, but I have a hunch that they will make it so that the player has to stretch the carcass on a rack, then physically use a blade to cut it up to get butchered materials.

The timed target practice already in the alpha has what appears to be a pig carcass stretched on a rack. When I went to cut it I thought this might be how they will rework butchering to be more hands-on rather than click a few buttons and then wait for countdown timer.

This is just a wild guess, but I have a hunch that they will make it so that the player has to stretch the carcass on a rack, then physically use a blade to cut it up to get butchered materials.

The timed target practice already in the alpha has what appears to be a pig carcass stretched on a rack. When I went to cut it I thought this might be how they will rework butchering to be more hands-on rather than click a few buttons and then wait for countdown timer.
Would be fucking irritating. Game is for pvp not living in 1400’s online. You can hang a pig in a tree upside down and butcher it just as easy as if it was hanging from a chain. And youd only hang it to bleed it the probably just put it on the ground or table. The ground might take longer but youd get the same shit.

some even better suggesting is just normal 100% yield butchering in the field. like a real hunter would also do. if they dont want to carry the shit if the animal with them all the time. just the good parts.
yea but I really doubt Henrik will just delete butchery or nerf it that much.

also newbs will still be able to make money by selling the carcs, is there really a difference between that and vendoring the raw mats? assuming pop is healthy

Darran

Old system was better in every way, replaced by a profession with 0 skill and gameplay is nothing but staring at a 60 second timer

SV has even said in the past they wont remove the system because they spent time developing it, but they had nothing to say in it's defence.

Last edited:
Thread starter #13

Luminia

Trial Member

Thanks for the input! This sounds like a pretty amazing way to do this kind of stuff... on paper atleast. I hope this is not the case though :) But i have to say this would be an innovative improvement.

Another thing I liked about the original way was that people would take only the best selling parts and leave the rest. This allowed players to load up more value before returning to town (making a more tempting pvp target) and left things for scavengers to try and get as well.

The current way does not allow for this since you can't drop things once you pick them up. So any system that requires you to pick the carcass up first will lead to extras being deleted instead of dropped.

A solution would be to have different actions of butchery that can be done on the carcass in the field without actually picking it up. So someone could skin it and then cut out the the parts they want while leaving the remaining carcass on the ground.

So it could have actions like:

pull teeth
Skin
debone
butcher
ect..

With each action possibly requiring special tools and leaving the carcass minus parts of any actions already done on them.

I think this would be closer to the original system where people could kill for just the parts they want. And also leave something for others to take as well.

Of coarse yields could still be better if a player brought items back to a proper butcher station.

Last edited:

Kuroi

i loved butchery and i used to run a shop out of it.

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
i loved butchery and i used to run a shop out of it.
I also did this for many years in Tindrem after Steam Release of MO to help new players. I placed many buy orders at the broker and sold the extracted materials again at the broker.

Malathion

Oghmium Supporter
Old system was better in every way, replaced by a profession with 0 skill and gameplay is nothing but staring at a 60 second timer

SV has even said in the past they wont remove the system because they spent time developing it, but they had nothing to say in it's defence.
They spent a boat load of time on walls, breeding, butchery, guards and necro pets- and the game was much better without all 4. ;)
This or you simply gain the skills for butchery and get the old drops in field like ....
- a Dire Wolf would drop / 1200 Fullgrain Leather, 3500 Meat , 500 Molarium, 800 Guard Fur, 600 Ironwool 2000 Tissue
-or a Wisent , 1600 Meat , 880 Fullgrain Leather , 440 Horn (approximated),1200 Tissue, 440 Wool (approximated),200 Emalj.

if you simply had max lores - 100% of materials drop in the field and you carry those materials back to town for value....seems pretty simple to me.

Last edited:
This or you simply gain the skills for butchery and get the old drops in field like ....
- a Dire Wolf would drop / 1200 Fullgrain Leather, 3500 Meat , 500 Molarium, 800 Guard Fur, 600 Ironwool 2000 Tissue
-or a Wisent , 1600 Meat , 880 Fullgrain Leather , 440 Horn (approximated),1200 Tissue, 440 Wool (approximated),200 Emalj.

if you simply had max lores - 100% of materials drop in the field and you carry those materials back to town for value....seems pretty simple to me.
I think it would be closer to original if each type or resource had its own action to get it. That way players could focus just on the items that they wanted to get.

This could leave players out in the field longer loading up on just the high value items. While leaving left overs for new/weaker players to scavenge. Like it was before butchery.